Welcome to Going Green in Saratoga: Living sustainably one day at a time!  My purpose with this blog is to share my efforts to live a more sustainable daily life - converting my yard to garden, biking more, buying local - while at the same time create a community forum to share ideas and resources on what others are doing to "relocalize" and lessen our impact on this earth. Please share your ideas and stories of inspiration on how you or someone you know is "going green".

Monday, November 22, 2010

Ups n Downs of a car-free life

I drove a car yesterday for the first time in three weeks. I was helping out some neighbors on a yard project in exchange for some firewood, and needed to make a run to the grocery store - so my neighbor let me borrow his car. At first, as I drove away I thought, ahh - I really do love driving. There is something so familiar about it, and so satisfying or soothing or I'm not sure what. Wait, I know - freeing.

The automobile provides the ultimate sense of freedom, that I can just drive away - go to a new place, get out of town, get away from the trials and tribulations of daily life by hopping in the car and heading out for an adventure. Yes, that's it. It's what I so enjoyed about renting my house this summer, the driving adventures, seeing new landscapes, new places or old familiar places. The freedom to go where I wanted when I wanted.

But as I continued to drive, this other sense came over me, of the hassles of owning a car. Of the feeling that maybe by 'getting out of town' we're actually avoiding deepening relationships right where we are.

Hmm. Plus, the single occupancy vehicle, as it's called in transportation planning land, is incredibly ineffecient. It's far more efficient to share a ride, whether by carpooling or bus. And, biking - as I've come to know, is actually almost as fast as driving (at least in this town), and far better exercise.

So, I was happy to have borrowed my neighbors car, as it allowed me to pickup a few bigger items that would be more difficult to carry on my bike. And, well, there is the hassle of trying to get to the recycling center and run some bigger errands. Oh, and as a time-challenged person, figuring out and remembering the bus schedules so I can coordinate taking the 473 in order to catch the 472, which only runs once an hour, etc etc etc.

Other than that, it's really pretty interesting to be without a car. On Satruday I ran all my errands on my bike - Farmer's Market, downtown Price Chopper, and finally home. I have these great fold-out metal baskets on the back that allow me to carry several full grocery bags, plus more on the fender. So, I was able to carry all my groceries and bags and keep warm at the stay time (except my fingers - warmer gloves are definitely in order.)

So, though it felt great the next day to hop in the car and go for that ride, I'm actually enjoying walking, biking and the bus - getting to know another little corner of the world right here in my neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment