Welcome to Going Green in Saratoga: Living sustainably one day at a time!  My purpose with this blog is to share my efforts to live a more sustainable daily life - converting my yard to garden, biking more, buying local - while at the same time create a community forum to share ideas and resources on what others are doing to "relocalize" and lessen our impact on this earth. Please share your ideas and stories of inspiration on how you or someone you know is "going green".

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Enjoying Eating Local


This morning I heard on the radio a woman reporting about the state of our economy and rising food prices. She made reference to a shortage of global food resources as part of the reason why.


I found this curious and then turned it over in mind - thinking - all the more reason to support local farmers & food producers. We need to find ways to provide farmers with funding, grants, and access to land in order to farm, particularly our youth, who may want to go into farming.


And, as I sit here at my desk working on my taxes and other paper work, I'm snacking on a wonderful plate of all locally-sourced foods: a delicious crisp Jonagold apple from Saratoga Apple in Schuylerville, a spoonful of honey from Ballston Lake Aperies (yes it does make the medicine go down too), and a splattering of quark goat cheese from Homestead Artisans in Argyle, NY.


Delicious! All bought fresh yesterday at the Saratoga Farmers Market. I hope you too will think about shopping and buying more locally grown food and produce. And there's nothing like the friendly rapport one can build with the folks who are growing your food.


No comments:

Post a Comment