Welcome to Going Green in Saratoga: Living sustainably one day at a time!  My purpose with this blog is to share my efforts to live a more sustainable daily life - converting my yard to garden, biking more, buying local - while at the same time create a community forum to share ideas and resources on what others are doing to "relocalize" and lessen our impact on this earth. Please share your ideas and stories of inspiration on how you or someone you know is "going green".

Sunday, August 7, 2011

10 life lessons learned

It's been quite a while since I posted here. Sometimes life just gets busy...work, more work, house, exercise, meditate, garden, play...it all takes time.

However, in my commitment to follow through on those things I say I will do, below is my top 10 list of 'insights' I came away with on my trip this summer out to the Pacific Northwest to visit friends.

Most are inspired by the stories and experiences shared with people I have known a long time, some almost twenty years. Most were friends who were at one time a daily part of my life, but now mostly we exchange occasional 'hello' and 'how are you' messages via Facebook.

I spent a lot of time one on one, catching up on the intricacies of life, the loves come and gone, the kids that have grown up and graduated, new jobs, illness, weddings. Life moves forward, and yet, I find with people whom I've known so intimately, we easily fall back into a familiar rhythm.

I know this post seems a bit off topic from 'sustainability', but living sustainably, in my opinion, means cultivating deep community. My community expands far beyond the borders of Saratoga, where I live. I still rely upon these friends, near and far, to help nurture and support my creativity and sense of purpose, as I hope I do for them. Of course, cultivating community locally is really essential for what I call deep sustainability. Still, these connections we have with people who live afar are equally important, though perhaps less frequent. Some simply feed some aspect of our soul, and keeping those connections is essential.

So, here's my list of the top 10 great insights/reminders I came away with - inspired by my Oly friends!


1) Good friends who care deeply about you will always be your friends regardless of where you are located - learn to carry them in your heart and you can call upon them at any time.
2) Love takes time - the kind that's really lasting anyways. And sometimes, 'being in love just isn't enough', as one friend said to me of her brief but passionate long-distance romance
3) There is always someone whose life experience has been more difficult than your own - learn from those people's challenges and strengths
4) Change happens - to us all
5) Keep in touch with the people you care about-sometimes they need you more than you might expect
6) Love deeply and care about what you do
7) Laugh a lot!
8) Sometimes it's not so essential to take everything so seriously
9) Enjoy what you have while you have it
10) Be thankful !

It may all seem so simple, but sometimes we need simple reminders to be thankful. Life can change instantly, as I learned of one friend who had a serious illness come upon fast.

And, as people come and go in our lives, there will always be those constancies. They can help you get through the tough times. In the meantime, reaching out to people near you - like my neighbors with whom I share a kindred feeling of 'neighborliness'. We even gardened together this summer. Sharing resources, ideas, information, creativity - that's an essential part of a thriving life, and, in my opinion, for building deep community and sustainability...

So, connect with an old friend, and have a cup of coffee with your neighbor - both may surprise and delight you.


No comments:

Post a Comment