Welcome to Going Green in Saratoga: Living sustainably one day at a time!  My purpose with this blog is to share my efforts to live a more sustainable daily life - converting my yard to garden, biking more, buying local - while at the same time create a community forum to share ideas and resources on what others are doing to "relocalize" and lessen our impact on this earth. Please share your ideas and stories of inspiration on how you or someone you know is "going green".

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Doing what you love is sustainable

So many of us are so busy with all our various obligations: work, family, kids, houses, mates, that we forget sometimes to make time to do the things we really love.

I was reminded this weekend of one of the things I used to love - birdwatching, which, I haven't really actively done in a long time. I'm actually okay with this, as I've come to discover other activities I enjoy, or should I say, just happen to be priorities at this time in my life.

One - is running, and the second - is writing. I've actually run on and off for exercise since I was in high school. Only in the past year, and perhaps even the past four to five months, have I discovered the joy I can get out of pushing my body to go farther or faster than I thought I could. Of course, running also triggers lots of feel-good endorphins, as does most exercise, so that's an added bonus. There is however, something fabulous about pushing your limits.

The mornings when I run and write are the days which just flow, and are the most even and balanced. The two activities seem to balance me in just the right way. I think because they are two activities I absolutely must do - my body, my soul, call it what you will, but it's like my entire being is boosted when I do these two things.

There is something really magical about the power of training. Just as when I run more and longer, I train my body to handle longer distances, the same is true of writing. The more I write, and the more time I spend crafting my words carefully, the stronger a writer I become. Both of course, like life in general, are works in progress.

Though I could be using my running time to do other things, for me, this is sacred time I need to remain healthy and balanced. And, when we are healthy and balanced is when we bring our best selves to whatever work or task is in front of us, or contribution which is calling us.

I've also discovered a wonderful community of runners. Ironically, many of my friends have been running for years - good friends from high school, past jobs, etc - all run. I knew they were runners, but I never really understood it as something they'd committed to.

Finally, I've discovered the many benefits. Perhaps it's our tribal nature, but there is also some uncanny bond or connection when you talk with someone who runs, participate in or watch a race. You want each person to succeed, and you want to motivate one another. This is also one of the great benefits of running, from my dental hygienist who encouraged me to run my first 5K, to my friend out west who's been training for marathons for over five years, sometimes by our own committment and action, we encourage each other to become our best.

Cultivating discipline, endurance, committment and steadfastness in any activity, whether running, writing, or gardening, especially one we love, can only lead to greater opening and joy. How can this be anything other than essential to sustainable living!

No comments:

Post a Comment