Welcome to Going Green in Saratoga: Living sustainably one day at a time!  My purpose with this blog is to share my efforts to live a more sustainable daily life - converting my yard to garden, biking more, buying local - while at the same time create a community forum to share ideas and resources on what others are doing to "relocalize" and lessen our impact on this earth. Please share your ideas and stories of inspiration on how you or someone you know is "going green".

Friday, December 23, 2011

Happy Holidays - Winter Solstice, Hannukah, Christmas

It is no wonder to me why so many holidays occur around this same time of year, the winter solstice - the darkest day of the year.
At winter solstice, we enter into the stillness of winter, of the cold, allowing whatever must be let go, let go. At the same time, we celebrate the return of the light, as the earth makes it transit, yet again, around the sun. Solstice gives us a time to gestate new ideas, new thoughts, and new ways of being we want for our lives.

I personally enjoy the winter solstice as it marks for me the ending of one year, and beginning of another. It provides a moment to look at all I have learned, how my life has been going, what I've accomplished, or not, and how I want it to go for the coming year.

I have this quote on a little inspirational card someone gave to me years ago,

The quote says,

"The world is round, and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning." by Ivy Baker Priest

I love this quote. It reminds me at this time of year, that the end of one year also ushers in the beginning of another. So as we hustle and bustle about our lives for the holidays, celebrating in whatever way we may - I wish you all the peace and joy of the returning light. May you celebrate ALL the lessons and joy of the past year, and welcome in even more joy for the coming year.

And remember, at least as I try to, it is often the simple things in life which can bring us the most joy - a smile from a friend, the funny words of a three year old, or the laughter of the clerk behind the counter when you share a joke. Sometimes the small things have the greatest impact.

And, don't forget to shop local - in my opinion, one of the most 'green' things you can do :)

Thank you to all who have read and enjoyed my blog. I look forward to writing more in the coming year, examining sustainability in a deeper way, and on a larger scale.

I want to end sharing a really great video to watch - a wonderful gift and reminder of the small wonders of everyday life. A look at Life In A Day of people around the globe - how they live their lives, their values, friends, challenges and joys. A study of similarities, contrasts, contradictions and interconnectedness of all our lives, complex and yet entirely simple. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment