Welcome to Going Green in Saratoga: Living sustainably one day at a time!  My purpose with this blog is to share my efforts to live a more sustainable daily life - converting my yard to garden, biking more, buying local - while at the same time create a community forum to share ideas and resources on what others are doing to "relocalize" and lessen our impact on this earth. Please share your ideas and stories of inspiration on how you or someone you know is "going green".

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Is it really February...Nature mirrors the love within us

Happy Valentine's to one and all! This 'holiday' I am always reminded of the abundant unconditional love that just is, within each of us and in nature.

I am also reminded of my own 'love' I feel for this earth, for this very beautiful magnanimous place we humans occupy and share with all other beings. It reminds me of the words of one of my students in my fall Biology of Ecosystems course, who wrote in response to why she is taking this class, 'because I just love this earth so much!'. Her words have really stayed with me.

I was so moved that a student would acknowledge this love she feels for the earth. It also reminded me how many of us look to nature for healing, peace, and really - love. Somehow, nature embodies a sense of awe, wonder, love and beauty - and mirrors this within ourselves.

Earlier this winter, I was up in one of the most beautiful places I know in upstate New York, in the Catskills...and walking on what was perhaps one of the most amazing days of the year, a fabulous sunny, warm day, surrounded by mountains and water, when a woman walking by me said, "What a beautiful day! How could anyone not believe there is a God on a day like this!" I smiled and nodded - acknowledging what I know she was feeling was this deep residing beauty and love that just is nature.

Even writing it makes me smile - that day, the people walking, the sun, water, mountains, all resonated a deep abiding love which is both nature and our own human nature- in my opinion, what some call God, others call Gaia, regardless of what we call it, that day - nature, mother earth, God - was definitely speaking to her and all the rest of us...

So, as we celebrate this day whose focus is love - may we be reminded of the many ways and kinds of love that exist in this world, and of the greater love which nature embodies and provides...

And, not to forget our dualistic human nature, and the need for humor at our own human foibles, I must share another photo, which perhaps represents more than I even really know but I also just find hilarious - I call it 'Cupid Derailed.' Sometimes, this happens to even the best of us. Thank goodness for facebook friends who shared these photos... Have a great valentines day- BE LOVE! (despite what walls we may encounter...:)

Happy Valentine's Day!


2 comments:

  1. burst out laughing

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, me too anonymous. that's why I had to post it. haven't we all just been there at one time or another. 'Oh, I did NOT see that wall coming.' glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete