Welcome to Going Green in Saratoga: Living sustainably one day at a time!  My purpose with this blog is to share my efforts to live a more sustainable daily life - converting my yard to garden, biking more, buying local - while at the same time create a community forum to share ideas and resources on what others are doing to "relocalize" and lessen our impact on this earth. Please share your ideas and stories of inspiration on how you or someone you know is "going green".

Friday, May 7, 2010

hanging laundry on the line

Yup, I did it. A few weeks ago I strung the clothesline I bought last fall. Overall I'm enjoying the zen-like quality of the chore of hanging laundry, but it has required some adjustment. I have several small garden beds in my backyard, so when I first hung up clothes on the line I realized they were hanging right over my soon-to-be herb bed. So this morning I went out to adjust the clothesline again, to move it away from the circular bed. As I hung up clothes to dry I could hear my mother's voice, "Girls, one of you hang up the clothes on the line."

Growing up, we had a clothesline in our back yard for as long as I could remember. With seven kids, my mother spent most of her time either cooking or doing laundry. I suppose to save money, she always hung the clothes on the line to dry whenever possible. (Plus, back then, everyone had clotheslines.) She used the outdoor clothesline for half of the year and then an inside clothesline in the basement during winter time. That wasn't always as effective, and when things really wouldn't dry one of us would resort to the dryer. Still, I'm sure she saved a lot of money by not using the dryer.

I realized, as a kid, hanging up the laundry was one of the chores I really never minded. Perhaps it's doing a chore that requires you to be outside and get some fresh air. Or, it may be the zen-like quality of the work, requiring focus on how to hang the item, etc, which brings you right into the moment of what you are doing. Since my first initial "hurrying" to hang my clothes on the line and get to my office, I've now come to enjoy it. It does require some coordination. One day I had to rush home to get the clothes off the line before it rained. I'm still using my dryer some, but much less than I did prior to the clothesline being up.

My initial impetus to get a clothesline were several friends who have them. Last fall when my EcoLocal friend Dave and his wife Brenda were at my house for a gathering, he asked me, "So, where's your clothesline?" He was surprised I didn't have one, and so was I, for not thinking of it. A few weeks later I went out and bought a simple nylon clotheseline (I think from Ocean State.) But, fall arrived and I never put it up. Then, a few weeks ago my friend Heather, who has 3 kids, told me how since she started line drying most her family's laundry (and with 3 kids she has a lot), they've saved close to $60/mo on their electricity bill by not using the dryer. She even bought clothes racks to use during the winter. (She's also the one who pointed out the zen-like quality of the chore.) So, I figured if Heather can dry her clothes on the clothesline with 3 kids, so can I.

It's been fun and relatively easy (minus the weather variable.) I hope to save some $$ and reduce my "carbon footprint" even more. Plus, it's one chore in my own household I really enjoy doing. (Now if I could only find someone who would dust.)

3 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of the clothesline, too. My mom always used a clothesline in nice weather (still does). Currently I rent in an apartment complex, but when it's nice I like to set up the dryer racks on my little porch and hang my clothes that way. Not sure about the energy savings, but it's $1.50 in quarters spared per load, so that's reason enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve - that's great. Worth the $1.50 saved = a cup of coffee. I do think it's challenging to find a rental which allows you to do some of these things like compost, etc. One of the reasons I bought my house was so that I could have things like a compost pile, clothesline, garden, etc. And, now that it's up and I bought more clothespins - it's already habit and I'm enjoying doing laundry and hanging stuff to dry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some friends that give you great advise. I have been air drying exclusively for almost two years. I dry everything on clothes drying racks. I save money and the big surprise is that my clothes last MUCH longer than they used to. I used to have to replace socks every time I went to the store, that might be an exaggeration, but it seemed that way. Now my socks elastics stay stretchy for years instead of months. I also notice that my other clothes all seem to be wearing longer with out wearing out.

    ReplyDelete