Welcome to Going Green in Saratoga: Living sustainably one day at a time!  My purpose with this blog is to share my efforts to live a more sustainable daily life - converting my yard to garden, biking more, buying local - while at the same time create a community forum to share ideas and resources on what others are doing to "relocalize" and lessen our impact on this earth. Please share your ideas and stories of inspiration on how you or someone you know is "going green".

Friday, July 30, 2010

Gone Green on the Road

I'm renting my house out this summer for the track season - so the past two weeks I was consumed with cleaning, packing and prepping to be out of my house for six weeks. This also means I'm posting from the road this summer, so to speak. Fortunately, I have some great friends and family who are opening up their homes and providing me a place to rest my head. Currently I'm up in Maine visiting my permaculture friends, Lisa and Dave. As often is the case, my visits to Maine usually combine some work and play. For the past 6-7 years Lisa and Dave have consciously been converting their suburban homesite to gardens. Visiting them is like going to permaculture school.

For years they've been growing garlic. This morning I helped Dave harvest the garlic tops - which form seed heads with individual bulbs that can be replantd.


I then harvested string beans while Dave pulled the garlic, prepped and hung it in the garage to dry.

Growing garlic or any garden is a lot of work. However, besides providing delicious nutritious food, there's a deep satisfaction that comes with growing a garden, and the ability to feed yourself with food grown right in your own back yard.

Fear not though. Besides work in the garden, and my own work writing and teaching - I am also having some fun and rest.

Next - hang the laundry on the line (so great when your friends share some of the same philosophy of living), then on my bike for a ride to the beach. Write again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment