Welcome to Going Green in Saratoga: Living sustainably one day at a time!  My purpose with this blog is to share my efforts to live a more sustainable daily life - converting my yard to garden, biking more, buying local - while at the same time create a community forum to share ideas and resources on what others are doing to "relocalize" and lessen our impact on this earth. Please share your ideas and stories of inspiration on how you or someone you know is "going green".

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year from Greyhound

Happy New Year! I'm writing this from my seat on the Greyhound Bus - making my way back from Maine to Saratoga, via Boston. If it's been a while since you rode a Greyhound bus, as it has been for me, the new buses are certainly modernized - new more comfortable seats with more leg room, a generally more comfortable ride, and equipped with wifi! That's cool. And, yes, the wifi works.

On my ride up to Maine, a day after the big snowstorm, Greyhound did pull out some of their older Adirondack Trailways buses to accommodate stranded riders from the previous day's storm. Unfortunately I ended up on one of those. I'm pretty sure it's one of the buses I used to ride back and forth from college in Rochester when I was an undergrad at RIT (20+ years ago.) Despite the cramped ride, I am grateful we have a fairly reliable bus system connecting the larger cities here in the Northeast.

Of course, I prefer the train. You might even say I've had a long term love affair with trains since my first trip to Europe in 1988 - 10 countries, 15 cities in one month via a Eurail train pass. Unfortunately, catching the train from Saratoga Springs to Portland, ME meant a 5hr layover in Albany and an eventural arrival time near midnight in Portland.

I can't say I've loved taking the bus for this journey. I do love to drive, and my driving route through Rutland, VT and the Killington valley covers some spectacular landscapes. I've driven that route enough trips that I have the timing and stops down pretty good - I can make it door to door in 5 hours. In contrast, my bus trip from Portland to Saratoga will be 10+ hrs, including layovers.

However, I am enjoying the free wifi on the bus. The Concord Coach bus, which goes from Boston to Portland even had movies. And, I've gotten a lot of papers read and grades finished for school.

It's also fun to begin the New Year with an interesting journey and new experience. So - Here's to hoping the New Year brings closure to old things which no longer serve, and opening to fabulous new experiences and new beginnings of all kinds!

Next stop - Worcester :)

No comments:

Post a Comment