Welcome to Going Green in Saratoga: Living sustainably one day at a time!  My purpose with this blog is to share my efforts to live a more sustainable daily life - converting my yard to garden, biking more, buying local - while at the same time create a community forum to share ideas and resources on what others are doing to "relocalize" and lessen our impact on this earth. Please share your ideas and stories of inspiration on how you or someone you know is "going green".

Monday, December 27, 2010

Shrink Wrapping Windows

Winter has officially arrived in the northeast, along with our first snow storm. But the cold temperatures greeted us weeks ago. In order to save energy, and mostly, keep my bedroom warm, today I 'shrink wrapped' the bedroom windows. Anyone who lives in cold climates probably knows about this energy saver tip and way to keep cold drafts out.

I was amazed at how much of a draft was coming in through the window, which you can see when you put up the plastic and before you 'shrink' it. The loose plastic moves in and out with any drafts.

As I'm not one for sleeping in a cold room (give me warmth), and since it's hard enough some mornings when I have to get the wood stove going again to heat up - covering the windows in my bedroom was a priority. I happened to have plastic left over from years past. But you can buy it at most any hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Yes, yes, it's plastic and made from oil. But, some things make more sense to use than not. Besides, I reduce my plastic useage in other ways, mostly by using recycled bags when grocery shopping, and I wash/reuse most all of my plastic baggies (much to the horror of more than one family member.) But, many of those baggies are sturdy and last multiple washes, and I save a lot of money by only having to buy a few boxes of plastic baggies a year.

So, if you're looking for a relatively low cost way to reduce cold drafts and save some on energy and energy costs - go out and buy some shrink wrap for windows. A few hints - if you've got blinds on the windows, be sure to take those down first. And, the plastic shrinks best when the blowdryer is on high. Be sure to have a pair of scissors on hand, and if you have a second set of hands - it goes quicker with two people. Well worth the time spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment